Welcome


Hello and welcome to my blog. I was inspired to do this by Timm Breyel's excellent SOUTH EAST ASIA DXING site (http://shortwavedxer.blogspot.my) and mine will be a little similar.

Sharing information as a DXer is important and I have found a lot of Timm's QSL information very useful. I am hoping I may be able to help others with some of my QSL info.
What about me then?
Go here to see my story.

My main area of DXing interest is in Longwave/ Mediumwave, but I have been collecting countries on Shortwave as well. I now have 627 verifications from 115 countries on Shortwave and 780 verifications from 73 countries on Long and Mediumwave. I have DXed in New Zealand, Australia, the United Kingdom, Jordan, Dubai, Vietnam and Malaysia.

I own an AOR 7030+, which I bought in the late 90s. I had it upgraded to the Plus. My primary receiver now is a WinRadio WR-G33DDC SDR (software defined radio). My antenna is a 4 metre EWE, shaped like a metal staple - 2 x 4m verticals and a 12m horizontal - all one piece of wire.

I have belonged to the NZ Radio DX League as a member since June 1974. I had a brief spell of about 5 years out in the mid 90s when I lived in the UK and belonged to the British DX Club. However, I rejoined and am now the Chief Editor of the NZ DX Times, the club's monthly publication. For information on the DX League, go here.

I would finally pay tribute to my wife, Maureen. DXing is a very selfish hobby in many ways and my wife Maureen is very encouraging of my participation in it. She puts up with a lot when I witter on about hearing this or that, or get excited by receiving a random postcard in the mail.

Sunday 23 October 2016

New loggings

With my wife away in Australia I have taken the opportunity to go to bed early, get up late and do some listening. Thus far I have been disappointed with conditions. 

Friday night 21/10 was noisy and not a lot of any interest was getting through. There was the usual draft of Thai stations that will not verify no matter what, a number of Vietnamese stations and a few Chinese stations, but not a lot else. I thought AIR Kolkata had popped up on 657 kHz. Sitar music was being played at 1757; however, AIR stations close at 1740. What I heard may well have been Asianet Radio from Dubai. On SW things were very noisy. I did manage to log KCBS on 3250 in parallel with 3320.

Saturday night 22/10 was still noisy, but better. I looked for AIR Kolkata but there was just a very noisy carrier on the frequency. I managed to log CRI on 1080 in English in parallel with 6060, which was a very good signal. 1080 was heard with SINPO 35343. Then I logged Cambodia RNK from Phnom Penh on 918. It was a very good signal and signed off with what I suppose was the National Anthem at 1704.

No comments :

Post a Comment