Welcome


Hello and welcome to my blog. I was inspired to do this by Timm Breyel's excellent SOUTH EAST ASIA DXING site (http://shortwavedxer.blogspot.my) and mine will be a little similar.

Sharing information as a DXer is important and I have found a lot of Timm's QSL information very useful. I am hoping I may be able to help others with some of my QSL info.
What about me then?
Go here to see my story.

My main area of DXing interest is in Longwave/ Mediumwave, but I have been collecting countries on Shortwave as well. I now have 627 verifications from 115 countries on Shortwave and 780 verifications from 73 countries on Long and Mediumwave. I have DXed in New Zealand, Australia, the United Kingdom, Jordan, Dubai, Vietnam and Malaysia.

I own an AOR 7030+, which I bought in the late 90s. I had it upgraded to the Plus. My primary receiver now is a WinRadio WR-G33DDC SDR (software defined radio). My antenna is a 4 metre EWE, shaped like a metal staple - 2 x 4m verticals and a 12m horizontal - all one piece of wire.

I have belonged to the NZ Radio DX League as a member since June 1974. I had a brief spell of about 5 years out in the mid 90s when I lived in the UK and belonged to the British DX Club. However, I rejoined and am now the Chief Editor of the NZ DX Times, the club's monthly publication. For information on the DX League, go here.

I would finally pay tribute to my wife, Maureen. DXing is a very selfish hobby in many ways and my wife Maureen is very encouraging of my participation in it. She puts up with a lot when I witter on about hearing this or that, or get excited by receiving a random postcard in the mail.

Thursday 17 November 2016

MW listening in New Zealand

I have been back in New Zealand on family business. Peter Mott, of the NZ Radio DX League has set up a remote listening post at his home about 250 km north of Auckland. It is a Kiwi SDR (see HERE) - software defined radio. It is only available to NZRDXL members, however.

The point is that it gives those of us in the League an opportunity to listen to distant radio stations relatively free of noise or interference - except when his occasional neighbour turns on the plasma TV!!

I have enjoyed listening at nights. The first time I tried I didn't think much of it. Reception was mediocre to say the least. However, so were conditions! Things have improved since then and I have made a few loggings. The aerial basically points north, so the Pacific Islands, the east coast of Asia and the west coast of the USA come into play.

I have sent reception reports to the following: KUAU 1570 (Hawaii), KLHT 1040 (Hawaii), and KPRP 650 (Hawaii). In addition I have a tentative report out to KNDI 1270 (Hawaii).

The 500 MW station in Korea was almost definitely heard a couple of nights ago on 1170. I will try again for that one too.

A trail of what have heard follows - I am not entirely certain about one or two of the stations I heard.


Freq
Time
Details
650
0647
HAWAII, KPRP fair to good with easy listening music. ID on hr. 16/11
690
0620
HAWAII, KHNR very good with talk. Mixed. 16/11
1040
0918
HAWAII, KHLT fair/ good some splash with religious talk. 15/11
1050
0622
?? SS station fair
1110
0741
USA relig stn fair 14/11
1120
0742
USA n/w sports fair
1140
0739
USA, KHTK Fair/good with ads and ids for KHTK and CBS Sports. 16/11
1170
0952
STH KOREA, HLSR (tent.) Fair/ good with choir singing. Peter put the SDR off air at 0958, and then at 1015 back up good with KK talk. Mixed a little with 2CH. 15/11
1270
0826
HAWAII (tent.) KNDI (possibly) – non stop Christmas mx. Good sig but faded at 0859 and disappeared after 10. No axmnts. Bit of a mystery. Listened to we feeds of Californians on freq – none of them. 16/11
1410
0642
USA ?? Sports fair 16/11
1420
0640
HAWAII, KKEA Excellent with ESPN Sport talk. 16/11
1460
0612
HAWAII, KHRA talk in KK, fair sig but het whistle. 16/11
1570
0638
HAWAII, KUAU fair with religious talk. 14/11. Mixed with SS stn 16/11
1690
0700
USA, KSFG fair with easy listening light piano mx. 14/11

No comments :

Post a Comment