Welcome


Hello and welcome to my blog. I was inspired to do this by Timm Breyel's excellent SOUTH EAST ASIA DXING site (http://shortwavedxer.blogspot.my) and mine will be a little similar.

Sharing information as a DXer is important and I have found a lot of Timm's QSL information very useful. I am hoping I may be able to help others with some of my QSL info.
What about me then?
Go here to see my story.

My main area of DXing interest is in Longwave/ Mediumwave, but I have been collecting countries on Shortwave as well. I now have 627 verifications from 115 countries on Shortwave and 780 verifications from 73 countries on Long and Mediumwave. I have DXed in New Zealand, Australia, the United Kingdom, Jordan, Dubai, Vietnam and Malaysia.

I own an AOR 7030+, which I bought in the late 90s. I had it upgraded to the Plus. My primary receiver now is a WinRadio WR-G33DDC SDR (software defined radio). My antenna is a 4 metre EWE, shaped like a metal staple - 2 x 4m verticals and a 12m horizontal - all one piece of wire.

I have belonged to the NZ Radio DX League as a member since June 1974. I had a brief spell of about 5 years out in the mid 90s when I lived in the UK and belonged to the British DX Club. However, I rejoined and am now the Chief Editor of the NZ DX Times, the club's monthly publication. For information on the DX League, go here.

I would finally pay tribute to my wife, Maureen. DXing is a very selfish hobby in many ways and my wife Maureen is very encouraging of my participation in it. She puts up with a lot when I witter on about hearing this or that, or get excited by receiving a random postcard in the mail.

Thursday 23 November 2017

A good night of DX via the DX League's SDR in Russell, Northland, New Zealand


I had a bit of spare time after work today so I had a listen to the League's SDR.
This is a bit of what I heard:
570  0750  USA, KLAC fair at best with Fox Sports talk. Deep fades. Mixed with a music station. 

590  0745  HAWAII, KSSK Very good with music and good ids. 
1020  0808 USA, KTNQ (presumed) fair with SS talk. Couldn’t avoid the splash, which marred an otherwise good signal. 
1040 0810  HAWAII, KLHT (presumed) good with religious prgm, but mixed with a Coast to Coast stn and I can’t work out who! 
1050 0816  USA, KTCT with local psa’s and adverts for Californian Fire services. Mixed with mx stn. No idea who though, only up briefly. 
1140  0823  USA, KHTK fair/ good with ESPN sports news, but mixed with another sports station. 


There were American stations on every 10 kHz spacing. I heard many more than the list above, they were just the ones I bothered to note down. 

Bill Marsh, in Blenheim, NZ, has been chasing a station on 1010 recently. On Wednesday I heard it very clearly - it is a Canadian station, or so the accent tells me. There were also mentions of British Columbia. It is either CFRB in Vancouver or CBR in Calgary. Tonight - there was no sign of it anywhere.

No comments :

Post a Comment